Friday, March 11, 2011

Miso Soup, It's Marvelous Dahling

MMmmm Miso
A lot of the time I don't feel like cooking and end up eating salad, steamed veggies, or soup. It's easy without compromising health and my produce doesn't go bad! My hubs on the other hand has a thing going on with frozen 'all natural' ravioli. He makes it a lot! I'm not into that, even though the ingredients look 'okay.' I'm lucky if my produce comes from as close as California, but that is still fresher than packaged 'all natural' ravioli.

One thing I love to make is miso soup. It's really easy and versatile. While traditional Japanese Miso calls for Dashi, I've never been able to find it, so I just use miso and water for the broth.
Miso Soup
1/2 cup cubed/dry fried tofu (you can use firm/silken etc. or omit)
1 big scallion sliced thin
3-4 cloves garlic crushed
1-2 inch piece ginger grated (yum!)
1-2 big leaves bok choy chopped coarse
1 big carrot grated
1 cup shiitake mushrooms (mine molded so I used cremini-but I normally use shiitake) sliced thin
Couple dashes sesame oil
1/4-1/2 cup miso (I use brown rice miso)
1-3 cups water
sprinkle of Kelp flakes
bean sprouts

So, I eyeball all of the ingredients and add water when I need it (when I go crazy on the veggies!). This is a pretty good guess. You can use any veggies you want. If you have access to dried seaweed, that would be awesome! I never do though. I have tried to chiffonade nori, ended up in bits.. but that works ok. Not the same as wakame! (yum!) I have kelp flakes on hand as an everyday salt substitute and you can just sprinkle it on the top when you are done.

Miso is a super feel good food (google miso gravy for another yummy recipe) that has many health benefits.. but I'll let you google it your self. One important tip when making miso, never boil the water, and only add miso prior to serving, not before simmering your veggies.

Dash some sesame oil in a pan, lightly (on med-low heat) stir saute the scallions, garlic, ginger, carrot and bok choy (adding bok choy just before you turn the burner off).

Transfer to a soup pot, add the rest of the ingredients (except miso/kelp/sesame). This is where you may need to adjust the water. Simmer for a few minutes (or until the veggies are how you like them-I like them crisp not smushy). Remove from heat. In a separate small bowl, stir miso with enough water to dissolve it. Now stir it into your soup. Dash sesame/kelp/sprouts over individual serving. Enjoy! A light, easy, pretty quick and healthy dinner/lunch etc. Miso is a bit salty by the way, so don't add salt to your broth!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...