Thursday, December 30, 2010

Delicious Chili Lime Delicata Squash

 I have quite a few fun squashes left over from fall. One was this beautiful Delicata squash, that is apparently making a comeback. I just bought it because I had never seen it before. I was in luck! It's a fabulous smooth fleshed sweet squash. I tend to make squash with1) nothing 2) maple syrup 3) as soup 4) as raw salad and I needed something different!

Here is how I prepared it:

    1 Delicata heirloom squash
    2 Tbs Olive Oil (or subs with Earth Balance)
    1 Tbs Fresh Lime Juice
    1 Tsp Chilli Powder (you can add 1/4 tsp Chipotle powder-optional)
    Salt and Pepper (to taste)


Directions:
Cut the Delicata lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and place cut side down in baking dish. Add a little bit of water to the pan to help steam the squash and prevent it from sticking.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. check for tenderness with fork starting at 25 minutes if your squash is especially small.

in a bowl, whisk oil, lime juice, chili, salt and pepper (one or two grinds from a grinder of each was enough for me).

Once Squash is baked, flip over, brush or spoon dressing all over cut side of squash. Enjoy!!

You could also peel and cut the squash into strip for chili 'fries.'

Source of recipe: Made it up

Makes: 2 servings, Preparation time: 5 minutes, Cooking time: 30 minutes

3 comments:

Thanks for your input!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...